Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pleasant Surprise

Everything in the two photographs below is from thrift stores and flea markets.  The desk was a jewelery box and the bust of George Washington originally held Avon men's after-shave.

The doll was an exciting find!  Saturday morning, Gail and I had dental appointments (just cleaning) on the north side of Columbus.  As we were leaving I asked Gail if we could stop by my three favorite thrift stores on the way home.  This was her first time 'round and she wasn't all that excited.  I promised her lunch at her favorite resturant. 

We entered a large independent store and I walked to the rear to check out the dolls.  The 18" dolls sell for $3 (The price is always written on the bottom of one foot . . . with a black permanent marker).  I usually find a Battat doll, although I once found an Alexander.  I removed a doll from the shelf and began my inspection . . . hummm . . . excellent face and hair . . . a rather nice dress too.

Then I turned her over, lifted her hair, and read "PLEASANT COMPANY" molded into the back of her neck!

I didn't explain my find to Gail until we were back in the car.  She said, "You enjoy the search and discovery, don't you."  Well, she understands a bit more about me and my dolls.  What is more difficult for someone else to understand is why I feel so happy when I'm working with my 'girls'.

Anyway, the tights and shoes are from Dori's Doll Boutique, my favorite place to shop for AG.









































5 comments:

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

How exciting!! I love those unexpected AG thrift store finds! :) Looks like you found Samantha, or at least a JLY in Sam's dress. Congratulations! :)

AlexAndrea said...

The old novice wants to know what 'JLY' means . . . Just Like You?

If this was a 'personalized' doll, it may explain why she shows no signs of 'play'.


Alex . . .

Carolyn said...

Hi! My first visit to your blog and its nice to see that men can appreciate dolls as much as women/girls.
You got some nice find there and I love how you made the jewelry box into a desk.
Your AG doll looks like Samantha, but could be a JLY doll. And yes, it does mean Just Like You. What a deal!
~Carolyn

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi, me again. I guess Bama beat me to it (Hi, Bama!). :) As she said, JLY stands for Just Like You, although now the same line of dolls are called "My American Girl" or My AG. Before they were called Just Like You dolls, they were called "American Girl of Today" (or AGOT). This really opens up a lot of options when searching on eBay. :) I'm actually a bit annoyed by the newest name change. When doing an eBay search, it was really easy to look for Just Like You or JLY or AGOT. Unfortunately, when you look up My American Girl, pretty much every single American Girl listing comes up, since American Girl is in the title. It's a lot harder to find some of the newer look-alike dolls now. :[

AlexAndrea said...

Beast'sbelle'

I understand the search problem. On the internet you can do an 'Advanced Search' for 'Exact Phrase Only' . . . not so eBay.